If anybody still has a reproducer, it would be useful to set a trace
point like this:

sudo vim /usr/bin/prime-select

# ...
        import pdb
        pdb.set_trace()

        if profile == 'nvidia':
            # Always allow enabling nvidia
            # (No need to check if nvidia is available)
            self._enable_nvidia()
        elif profile == "on-demand":
            self._disable_nvidia(keep_nvidia_modules=True)
        else:
            # Make sure that the installed packages support PRIME
            #if not self._supports_prime():
            #    sys.stderr.write('Error: the installed packages do not support
PRIME\n')
            #    return False
            self._disable_nvidia()

# ...

and see if _disable_nvidia is entered when `prime-select intel` is
invoked while `prime-select query` shows "nvidia" or "on-demand".

Before I removed the driver and the nvidia-prime package, I could switch
the profile back and forth using `prime-select intel` and `prime-select
nvidia` without any positive effect so it would be useful to find out
why.

The code only depends on the target profile specified via command line
and the current profile (read from /etc/prime-discrete) so I don't have
any guesses yet:

https://github.com/tseliot/nvidia-
prime/blob/cf757cc9585dfc032930379fc81effb3a3d59606/prime-
select#L114-L143

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  error booting with prime-select intel

Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:

  when I try to boot with the iGPU selected, DE won't boot, with nvidia
selected, everithing is fine.
  I tried uninstalling nvidia driver and it allowed my to access without any
problems and intel is working fine

  Package: nvidia-prime 0.8.13
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Wed Oct 16 12:41:26 2019
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Beta amd64 (20190925)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: nvidia-prime