Managed to reproduce it:

1) switched to nvidia;
2) worked for a while with it for a while with 5.3.0-19-generic;
3) got a kernel update to 5.3.0-23-generic;
4) switched to intel;
5) reproduced the problem.

What I found is:

1) /lib/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf gets created if you switch to
"intel";

2) blacklist-nvidia.conf wasn't in initramfs for the new kernel:

lsinitramfs initrd.img-5.3.0-19-generic | grep blacklist-nvidia.conf ; echo $?
usr/lib/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf
0

lsinitramfs initrd.img-5.3.0-23-generic | grep blacklist-nvidia.conf ; echo $?
1

3) running `updateinitramfs -u` fixes it.

>From what I can see:

* updateinitramfs works correctly and the blacklist file gets created
correctly as well so long as "intel" is selected;

* If a kernel is upgraded while the profile is set to "nvidia" though,
/lib/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf is (correctly) not there so any
initramfs generation or updates do not include it;

* So when `prime-select intel` is done on a system that got upgraded
with `prime-select query -> nvidia`, there is nothing to update
initramfs.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  [cosmic+] error booting with prime-select intel: prime-select does not
  update initramfs to blacklist nvidia modules

Status in nvidia-prime package in Ubuntu:

  when I try to boot with the iGPU selected, DE won't boot, with nvidia
selected, everithing is fine.
  I tried uninstalling nvidia driver and it allowed my to access without any
problems and intel is working fine

  Package: nvidia-prime 0.8.13
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Wed Oct 16 12:41:26 2019
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Beta amd64 (20190925)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: nvidia-prime