Sorry for not being clear, I agree that these are both problems with
restoring the session. I think that they have separate causes and will
have separate solutions, and so they would be better tracked in separate
bug reports.

Restoring windows to the correct desktop is handled differently for
different systems. In general we are missing explicit support for it.
The current bug (bug 372650) is about getting that working properly; if
there was any work in progress it would be proposed and discussed here
or in the dependent bugs. I don't know why the behavior has changed for
you over time, but I'd guess it was a side effect of more general
session restore changes, rather than intending to fix this.

Restoring the correct tabs to the correct windows, however, is a cross-
platform mechanism that shouldn't depend on the geometry of the windows.
It should already be working consistently. Any issues there are more
likely to be broken existing code, possibly very general issues with the
database. It's possible that fixing your tab->window issue might also
return the window->desktop restore back to the correct behavior you were
seeing in 68 (and sporadically in older versions), but that still
wouldn't fix the current bug, in general.

Thanks for sticking with trying to debug your session restore issue for
all these years. I think that filing a new bug might get more attention
on it, rather than having it lumped in with this missing feature.

  Firefox windows don't restore on correct workspaces

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Confirmed
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  Create two workspaces
  Open one firefox window on the first workspace, second on the second one.
  Quit (or crash) firefox, specifying "Yes, remember my windows"

  Expected behavior: second window shows up on second workspace
  Actual behavior: Both windows appear on the current workspace