Thank you for your bug report, could you report that upstream on
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/issues ?

** Changed in: gnome-control-center (Ubuntu)

  'sound' settings require changing device and back again

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I have two actual audio devices plugged in: 1. speaker under my
  monitor plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack, 2. a set of USB
  headphones.

  The 'Sound' settings panel shows three devices:
  1. Headphones - built in audio
  2. Digital output (s/pdif) - Jambra UC Voice 750 MS
  3. Headphones - Jambra UC Voice 750 MS

  (I don't really know what 2 is - I usually ignore it)

  Normally, after plugging the headphones in, it has 3 selected, but the
  'Test' button still plays through 1.

  I have to change the 'output device' to 1, then back to 3 in order to
  make it work on 3.

  So, this bug is that the control centre does not reflect reality when
  you launch it. It looks like it is automatically selecting the
  headphones just plugged in, but it hasn't actually changed.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.34.1-1ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.4
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME