I'm not sure I understand the problem. How is
~/snap/chromium/1165/Downloads a read-only location?

Chromium (at least when not run headless) should default to your XDG
Downloads directory, what does chrome://settings/downloads show?

Can you share one of your Selenium-based download tests so that I can
reproduce and investigate the problem?

** Changed in: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] chromedriver does not download where configured

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  I've recently been forced to upgrade to the SNAP based chromium setup.
  After being required to work through reconfiguring my $HOME, learn of
  the need to set up $XAUTHORITY I just now discovered that none of my
  Selenium based download tests work because the SNAP setup insists on
  downloading to:

  /home/xxx/snap/chromium/1165/Downloads

  rather than where the chromederiver download settings have been
  configured. Is there a way to override this?