I have the CanonScan LiDE 60 Scanner which I've had for a very long
time. The SimpleScan software always worked great out of the box with
this scanner...until I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04. And now, neither the
brightness nor the contrast sliders have any effects on my scans.

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  Bightness and contrast settings have no effect

Status in simple-scan package in Ubuntu:

  Scanner: Canon, Inc. CanoScan N1240U/LiDE 30
  Ubuntu 14.04, Simple Scan version 3.12.1.

  Adjusting the settings of brightness and contrast has no effect.

  With the default for scanning in "text" mode being too bright, this makes
"Simple Scan" in text mode unusable for me.
  Brightness and contrast settings don't work in "foto" mode, too. But the
default of the foto mode is usable.

  Brightness setting does work in program "Skanlite".