I can confirm chromium now automatically installs a local copy of
Widevine (in ~/.config/chromium/WidevineCdm), and this appears to work
both in the deb packages and in the snap. Only a restart is required to
enable the CDM. The version of Widevine can be checked by browsing to
chrome://components.

In my tests this works on amd64, but not on i386.

The UX isn't great because it's not discoverable, there's no user
feedback and a manual restart is required, as opposed to the way Firefox
handles it, but it's nevertheless a big step forward.

I wonder whether this might be a consequence of
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/b5e9a646f5ac2eee57fb0c8cc545f18aa50bd994
 ?
Although Michel you said it started happening with chromium 81 ?

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [Snap] Install the widevine binary upon request in Chromium

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  Use case :

  - Start a video on netflix.com ( with chrome/ubuntu user agent )
  - Get a mysterious Netflix Error saying your browser is not supported
  - Start Firefox and watch your video

  Solution :

  - Detects when browsing a website that may need widevine ( see how
  firefox team did )

  - ask user if he wants this non-free binary plugin

  - Run some script like
  https://gist.github.com/ruario/3c873d43eb20553d5014bd4d29fe37f1 that
  would copy the widevine plugin in snap user directory

  Notes :

  To test if Widevine Works : https://bitmovin.com/demos/drm

  - Widevine versions and binary url from mozilla
https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-beta/file/default/toolkit/content/gmp-sources/widevinecdm.json