Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. This particular bug has already been reported and is a
duplicate of bug 1641308, so it is being marked as such. Please look at
the other bug report to see if there is any missing information that you
can provide, or to see if there is a workaround for the bug.
Additionally, any further discussion regarding the bug should occur in
the other report. Feel free to continue to report any other bugs you may
find.

   Partitions display wrong in gnome -disks - ok in gparted

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-disk-utility in Ubuntu.

  Incorrect disk information is displayed after creating a new partition

Status in GNOME Disks:
  Unknown
Status in gnome-disk-utility package in Ubuntu:

  After creating a new partition, GNOME Disks did not indicate whether
  or not the partition creation had succeeded. Instead, it indicated
  that several partitions had been destroyed, when this was not correct.

  I will describe the steps that lead to the issue:

  1. A disk divided into several ext4 and NTFS partitions existed.
  2. I shrank the last partition (NTFS) using Windows.
  3. I rebooted into Ubuntu and GNOME Disks correctly displayed the empty space
at the end of the disk.
  4. I instructed GNOME Disks to create a new ext4 logical partition using the
dialog opened by the + symbol.
  5. The dialog disappeared without any indication of whether the operation had
succeeded or not. At the same time, the disk graphic was updated (see
screenshot in attachment). It said that the disk had only one partition (/) and
the rest of the disk was free space. This implied that the operation had failed
and all the other partitions had been destroyed.
  6. I tried closing and opening Disks, but it continued to indicate that most
of the disk had been wiped.
  7. I looked at the relevant filesystems in GNOME Files (Nautilus) and GNOME
System Monitor. The information there suggested that the existing partitions
were intact and the new partition had been successfully created.
  8. I rebooted Ubuntu and opened Disks again. It correctly displayed the new
disk layout (see screenshot in attachment in comment below).

  I have not attempted to reproduce the issue as I cannot afford to risk
  damaging a hard disk in daily use.

  This behaviour is highly undesirable. Users who are informed that
  their hard disk has been wiped suffer greatly increased stress and in
  their panic may take irreversible actions in an attempt to remedy the
  situation.

  I am using GNOME 3.28.2 as supplied with Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. The Disks
  utility itself does not seem to have a version number.

  I originally reported the issue upstream at GNOME
  (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-disk-utility/-/issues/171) and
  they asked me to report the issue at Ubuntu instead.