Rhythmbox uses ```autoaudiosink``` gstreamer plugin for outputting
audio, which means Rhythmbox outsources the audio sink selection process
to gstreamer. So, test your bug with the following command first.

```
$ gst-launch-1.0 -v -m audiotestsrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample !
autoaudiosink
```

This plays a audio tone on the audio sink "automatically" selected by
gstreamer ```autoaudiosink``` plugin. If the same random device sink
selection happens, the issue could be with ```autoaudiosink``` gstreamer
plugin, and not Rhythmbox.

https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/frequently-asked-
questions/using.html?gi-language=c should help.

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  rhythmbox ignores pulseaudio default sink and outputs sound on random
  device

Status in rhythmbox package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

  rhythmbox:
    Installed: 3.4.4-1ubuntu2
    Candidate: 3.4.4-1ubuntu2

  What I expect to happen :

  When I launch rhythmbox, I expect it to use the default pulseaudio
  sink. (Which can be defined in pavucontrol or with set-default-sink in
  /etc/pulse/default.pa ).

  What happened instead :

  when I launch rhythmbox, it outputs sound to a random device (in my
  case : either a RAOP sink in my living-room, or another RAOP sink in
  my kitchen. Never my local soundcard)

  If I correct the output sink (with pavucontrol or pactl) the problem
  is fixed... until I quit and restart rhythmbox.

  I did not have this problem with Ubuntu 19.10 / Rhythmbox
  3.4.3-2ubuntu1

  In 20.04 :
  -> Spotify (snap store version 1.1.26.501.gbe11e53b-15) has the same problem
  -> others apps I tested (Firefox, Chromium, VLC, Totem) do not have the
problem

  I already tried to delete $HOME/.config/pulse with no improvement.