but the problem happens with other bluetooth headsets as well

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  pulseaudio bluetooth problems with profiles

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Pulseaudio has been super unstable since ubuntu 20.04.
  bluetooth has multiple connectivity issues which sometimes can only be
resolved by unpairing and then pairing again.

  A big problem comes when a bluetooth headset is connected. Sometimes
  it does not show up as well in the sound settings or the wrong profile
  is shown. Sometimes I try changing the profile it works, but other
  times it does not alter anything - e.g. changing from hfp to a2dp
  shows the change but the profile remains. If I switch settings tabs
  and go back to sound settings the old profile remains.