I do not wish to sound ungrateful or entitled but this bug is literally
the one show stopper that is preventing me from doing more work in
Linux.  I run a triple monitor setup and per monitor fractional scaling
is a non-negotiable must for my work.

Can someone explain the root of the problem?

Is it poor driver support on Linux?

Is it the desktop environment lacks mature support for this feature?

Is it just very technically difficult and nobody has the time to handle
all the possible combinations?

Every day I sadly hold the space bar to bring up the boot menu to select
Windows Boot Manager.

Where is the limitation that prevents a solution here?  What can be done
to facilitate a fix?

Thanks,
David

  [nvidia] Screen scaling 125% gives 200%

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:

  Procedure used:
  1.
  Fully updated system via apt update && apt upgrade

  2.
  Select the screen setup in gnome control center

  3.
  Click the "Fractional scaling" toggle

  4.
  Select 125% and click the green "use" button top right (it says "Anvend" in
dansih)

  5.
  Observe that the window has grown a lot, click the "use new settings" button

  6.
  The window tells me, I am at 200% scaling. The "200%" option is now
highlighted.

  7.
  Switch back to 100% and file this bug.

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:20.04.16
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Apr  4 09:42:34 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20170801)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=da_DK.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: release-upgrade
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-04-03 (0 days ago)