Yep, this needs fixing. I upgraded from 16.04 to 20.04 LTS and while
there have been some great improvements, what's changed in, and been
removed from, Nautilus has been a huge disappointment. Search results
are displayed in some crazed, random manner, and cannot be tailored, so
when there are a lot of results, it's basically unusable. Because I use
search so often, and in folders with lots of files, looks like I Have no
choice but to use Nemo until this is resolved.

  Search in Nautilus Files does not allow sorting of results

Status in Nautilus:
  Expired
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  The version of nautilus/Files included with Ubuntu 17.04 no longer
  allows sorting of search results.

  Previously, sort was achieved by clicking on the column header titles.

  This no longer works.

  It represents a significant regression in the search feature.

  Thanks.