You're failing to understand the concept of "show-stopper" bug, also known as
"ship-stopper".
The severity of such a bug is so big, that the whole release a product must be
postponed, until the bug is fixed. Bugs of this kind are ones that
substantially compromise the usability of a product. For example, a bug in a
browser's rendering engine that doesn't allow a single major website (social
networks, search engines etc.) to render correctly. Millions of people won't
use that browser because of that. Another example? A GCC bug that doesn't allow
the Linux kernel to compile or, even worse, compiles but generates incorrect
instructions and the kernel doesn't boot. Even if that C compiler had a TON of
new and cool features and it was 200% faster than its predecessor, would you
allow it to be released knowing the you cannot compile Linux? I wouldn't, never.

Most of the time, we make trade-offs, both in software development and in
release management as well. For example? We've fixed 100 bugs at the price of
introducing 5 new ones. That's fine, generally. BUT, some bugs are critical and
cannot even be put in the equation. I don't need the whole "decision tree" for
that. Such bugs, have priority above everything else combined. The 10,000 new
features of KDE 4 were worthless, compared to the fact that it was not stable
and crashed the whole time. I wanted so much to use it at the time, because it
was so cool and visually pleasing. But, at the end I gave up because of its
instability and switched to GNOME.
A car is *worthless* if its breaking system doesn't work. A compromise can be
made when the breaking system is relatively worse than the one in the previous
model, but it's still working, it's still doing an acceptable job.

So, how to decide which bugs are show-stoppers? Well, there are user
experience people, product managers, VPs etc, but ultimately, such a
decision is SUBJECTIVE. I have no "mathematical proof" that this was a
show-stopper bug, neither do you that this wasn't. I expressed my
opinion, trying to make the Ubuntu leadership to reconsider such
decision making. Maybe I failed, maybe I didn't. But if nobody makes
criticism, it's almost impossible for the leadership to get a feedback
and improve its decision-making. At the end, given users' feedback, I
hope Ubuntu leaders will ask themselves: "was that the right call to
make?". Maybe, just maybe, the next time they'll be more conservative
when releasing an LTS.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons in
Ubuntu.

  Can no longer drag and drop files between desktop and applications

Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons:
  New
Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons package in Ubuntu:

  In releases before 19.04, you could drag and drop files from the
  desktop into applications.

  This no longer works.

  Package: gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons 19.01-1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Jan 26 21:47:14 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.3)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to disco on 2019-01-21 (5 days ago)