Thanks for the find!

  Windows get wrong z-index and flickering decoration halo

  Frequently, windows such as the new text editor, or the nautilus file
  browser, or modal dialogs seem to have an in valid z-index, i.e. I
  cannot click the title bar, and the window is virtually behind
  everything.  The window also has a flickering halo full of garbage
  from other screen areas which looks like missallocated texture memory?
  It is possible to bring the window into the foreground, bu e.g. TABing
  through the applications but it cannot be used because other windows
  that are 'behind' it capture the mouse events through this window.
  This can happen with many Windows at the same time, typically after
  sleep-wake.  The Windows can be rescued into normal state by using
  keyboard shortcuts to maximize-minimize, after which everything is
  fine.  The z-index is correct, mouse events are captured and the
  decorations look perfect.

  This started happening with Ubuntu 22.10 and is still present in
  23.04, so I assume that it is a bug in Gnome 43?  This happens
  regularly after sleep wake which, in my case, often comes with a zoom
  switch between 100% (external monitor on dock) and 200% (internal
  HiDPI laptop screen).  I am running Ubuntu on xorg, not Wayland,
  because screen-sharing individual windows with Zoom does not work on
  Wayland.  I am observing this most frequently with Snap apps such as
  Nautilus and the new text editor, but also Evolution dialogs have come
  up with this.  May be a timing issue that manifests more frequently
  with the slower snap apps?

  I understand that this bug-report is unsatisfying in how to reproduce this,
and what exactly the outcome is, but it is pretty random in nature and I can
only report the visual/ GUI outcome.  I am happy to provide additional input as
requested.
  ---
  CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is the distribution channel descriptor for the OEM CDs
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-focal-amd64-20200502-85
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20200502-05:58
  Package: gnome-shell 44.1-0ubuntu1
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   SHELL=/bin/bash
   TERM=xterm-256color
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 44.1-0ubuntu1
  Tags:  lunar
  Uname: Linux 6.2.0-20-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to lunar on 2023-04-26 (43 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip docker lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True