Hi,

The best solution is to register your own nsIWebContentPolicy XPCOM component
in an embedded Gecko application.
This would allow you to reject or approve each outbound HTTP request based on its URL or Content Type.
You can then spawn your own download from the callback.

The second solution is to set your own window creator in an XULRunner app.
You will get a callback whenever a window opens. You can then block the default download manager from opening in the callback. This would also prevent the original download from commencing.
However, you do need to add a "click" listener to trigger your own download.
Also, This approach does not block the outbound http request.

Steve