On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 14:35, Ryan Kelly <rfke...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Over in github we've been discussing our options of rate-limiting pairing
> channel creation attempts:
>
>   https://github.com/mozilla-services/channelserver/issues/21
>
> One obvious approach would be to use the existing fxa-customs-server, and
> just add some new action types like "createPairingChannel" and
> "connetToPairingChannel" that the channelserver can send over for
> checking.  However, the fxa-customs-server is currently run as a private
> "sidecar" service for fxa-auth-server, exposed only over a localhost
> interface.
>
> Does it make sense for us to try to extract fxa-customs-server into its
> own standalone service that can be accessed by multiple consumers?  Or is
> that likely to be more work than just adding rate-limiting code directly
> into the channelserver?

Another option would be to try running a third-party ratelimiting daemon
that can be shared among different services, such as:

  https://github.com/lyft/ratelimit
  https://github.com/limitd/limitd

Which may be less work than adding custom rate-limiting code in
channelserver.

+ulfr for possible opinions from opsec team.

  Cheers,

    Ryan