On 11/13/12 4:34 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

But the point here is that unless we know for sure that we're dealing
with a compiler bug, disabling Linux PGO builds may just wallpaper over
the problem.

That's quite possible, and I'm sure there are other currently-used ways to exercise the code that could expose other lurking issues. The standard can't be perfection. So disabling PGO sounds like it can be a reasonable tradeoff to have more time to focus on other bugs that matter. Especially given that distros are not shipping PGO builds, and so to a certain degree we're just making work for ourselves here.

Alternatively: It's a zero-sum game. We need to be smart about about where we focus resources, and there seems to be a pretty compelling claim (IMO, and I've no skin in it :) that Linux PGO is a poor cost/benefit.

Justin