Gregory Szorc wrote:

c) I/O is synchronous.
To be fair, the pref API is mostly reading and writing a big hashtable; few functions actually do any I/O.

e) The API is awkward.

Well, XPCOM was all the rage at the time. (Then again, so was RDF, and its dynamic bulk read API is still better than anything else we have.)

Anyway, the problem with files or sqlite is that you have to roll your own code, or worse, copy someone else who rolled their own code incorrectly. At least preferences don't have that problem.

I understand Session Store now uses asynchronous JSON storage. If we could separate that out into its own module, it could prove very popular.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.