On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also thought that it was obvious that a suitably chosen subset of TeX
> could be free of such unwanted characteristics.

So basically that would involve inventing something new that currently
does not exist and are currently isn't supported by Gecko, Trident,
Blink or WebKit. Furthermore, to integrate properly with the platform,
math should have some kind of DOM representation, so a TeX-like syntax
would still need to parse into something DOMish.

On the other hand, presentation MathML is already mostly supported by
Gecko and WebKit, parses into a DOM (from text/html, too) and has had
years of specification development behind it to figure out what the
sufficiently expressive feature set is.

So instead of being in the point where there's a mature spec and two
of the four engines still to go, we'd go back to zero engines and no
spec.

Presentation MathML may not be pleasant to write by hand, but we don't
put a Markdown parser in the browser, either, for those who don't like
writing HTML. (And we don't put a JIT for $LANGUAGE for those who
don't want JS.) Those who rather write Markdown can run the conversion
on their server. Likewise, those who rather write a subset of TeX can
run itex2mml on their server.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi