On 6/24/2013 6:50 PM, Clint Talbert wrote:
Decoder and Jcranmer got code coverage working on Try[1]. They'd like to
expand this into something that runs automatically, generating results
over time so that we can actually know what our code coverage status is
with our major run-on-checkin test harnesses.  While both Joduinn and I
are happy to turn this on, we have been down this road before. We got
code coverage stood up in 2008, ran it for a while, but when it became
unusable and fell apart, we were left with no options but to turn it off.

Now, Jcranmer and Decoder's work is of far higher quality than that old
run, but before we invest the work in automating it, I want to know if
this is going to be useful and whether or not I can depend on the
community of platform developers to address inevitable issues where some
checkin, somewhere breaks the code coverage build.  Do we have your
support?  Will you find the generated data useful?  I know I certainly
would, but I need more buy-in than that (I can just use try if I'm the
only one concerned about it). Let me know your thoughts on measuring
code coverage and owning breakages to the code coverage builds.

Also, what do people think about standing up JSLint as well (in a
separate automation job)?  We should treat these as two entirely
separate things, but if that would be useful, we can look into that as
well.  We can configure the rules around JSLint to be amenable to our
practices and simply enforce against specific errors we don't want in
our JS code.  If the JS style flamewars start-up, I'll split this
question into its own thread because they are irrelevant to my objective
here.  I want to know if it would be useful to have something like this
for JS or not.  If we do decide to use something like JSLint, then I
will be happy to facilitate JS-Style flamewars because they will then be
relevant to defining what we want Lint to do but until that decision is
made, let's hold them in check.

So, the key things I want to know:
* Will you support code coverage? Would it be useful to your work to
have a regularly scheduled code coverage build & test run?

Back when the previous code coverage stuff worked I actively used it to help me develop automated tests, I'd love to see this again.

I wish we could get JS code coverage too though.