On 7/15/2013 9:30 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
On 13/07/13 00:36, Clint Talbert wrote:
This is all good stuff, and I want to support us being nimble. We also
need to balance that against security and quality in our builds. We go
through the release process for a reason, and we exert the energy to QA
these builds and ensure we can update them incrementally, reliably, and
repeatably. I think that such a service like this can be fine, but I'd
want to be very certain we only change certain, safe items in the
profile directory, and we stay away from items in the application
directory.
If that's the general feeling, then we'd need to move any of these data
items which are currently not profile-specific (e.g. the PSL) to be
profile-specific. (Which itself suggests that updating them should rev.
the Firefox version number.)
Or it means that we need to be willing to issue dot-releases to update these items. We're pretty nimble with the desktop release cycle already. We should definitely measure this tradeoff before doing a bunch of engineering on this. As I understand it, the major factor here is that we are not nearly as nimble for FxOS updates, and so this is more of an issue, correct?

--BDS