On 7/10/2013 3:09 PM, smaug wrote:
Splitting patches is usually useful, but having a patch containing all the changes can be also good. If you have a set of 20-30 patches, but not a patch which contains all the changes, it is often hard to see the big picture. Again, perhaps some tool could help here. Something which can generate the full patch from the smaller ones.

Since I know how hard reviewing is, when I'm submitting a patch for a review (usually a larger one) I always do:

- explanation of what the patch is doing in few or more points ; anything that could be perceived unexpected in the patch is also explained very well - providing patch split to logically separated parts with numbers like "part 1 of 6"
- and also a complete (folded) patch for reference
- strictly versioning the patch among review rounds
- when submitting a new version of a patch after r- always explain what has changed and provide an interdiff - before that I take great care to address all r comments or discuss them well

This should be a standard IMO.

-hb-

-Olli