On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

>  If I were starting such a research project, I'd start by testing
> hypotheses about TLD correlation with legacy encodings. The first thing I'd
> like to test would be whether it would be an improvement to make builds
> that have Traditional Chinese as the UI language use gbk (as opposed to
> big5) as the fallback encoding when browsing content loaded from a .cn
> domain.

To elaborate, we could first have a lookup table from country TLDs to
legacy encodings and then only as a second step would use the lookup from
the UI localization to legacy encodings for TLDs  that don't have a strong
country affiliation. So for example, we'd map .cn to gbk, .tw to big5, .ru
to windows-1251 and .de, .fr, .se, .nl, .fi etc. to windows-1252, but for
.com, .org and such we'd base the guess on the UI locale like today but
using a less brittle way of managing the mapping.

But anyway, that would be improving the guessing instead of just fixing how
the current guessing mechanism is a managed. I don't want better to be a
blocker for good here.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi