On 01/18/2014 07:08 AM, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> On 1/17/2014 4:24 PM, Terrence Cole wrote:
>> Exact stack rooting is now enabled by default on desktop builds of
>> firefox.
> Does this mean that the moving GC is also enabled, or is that a later step?

No, moving GC is a later step. We are targeting moving GC to land in the
next cycle so that we can more easily separate the problems.

> If we see an increase in the crash rate for nightly builds, is it likely
> that they will share a signature, or will this mainly expose itself as
> memory corruption, which typically don't have useful crash
> stacks/signatures?

The second, although stacks will probably have a relatively tight
cluster too. Specifically, a crash here will manifest as use-after-free,
generally through some specific, local GC pointer variable.

> Are there ways for users who are seeing crashes to
> turn on extra debugging (memory poisoning in the GC, for example) in
> order to make crashes more reliable?

Great question! We have a tool called "GC zeal" in builds with
--enable-gc-zeal and in all debug builds unconditionally. It adds a
small runtime overhead, but gives us fine-grained control over when GC's
happen and adds several verification modes for debugging specific
problems. I was under the impression that nightlys had this enabled, but
I am not seeing it there now.

> The stability team will be watching crash-stats closely over the next week.

Thanks for keeping an eye out!

-Terrence