On 02/22/2014 12:26 PM, Hubert Figuière wrote:
> Now we talk about enabling more warning, yet Mozilla codebase is far
> from building warning free....
>
> Maybe we should start with that first?

FWIW, I (and others) have been working on that, as a side project, for a
while now, and I think we're actually in pretty good shape right now.

We currently have only 100-200 build warnings[1], if you filter out
warnings from third-party libraries that we import (e.g. cairo, skia,
protobuf, ICU, various media codecs).

We also have ~260 directories (and growing) that are annotated as
FAIL_ON_WARNINGS, meaning they're warning-free and they'll stay that way
(enforced by TBPL).

If you're noticing any particularly warning-spammy code, please file
bugs (and label the directory as FAIL_ON_WARNINGs when they're fixed).
That's what I do, and it's been working.

~Daniel

[1] (depending on compiler -- I'm testing recent gcc and clang, using
debug Firefox builds)