On 2/21/2014 5:40 PM, Brian Smith wrote:
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Nicholas Nethercote
<n.netherc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Optimizations that wouldn't have been worthwhile in the desktop-only
days are now worthwhile. For example, an optimization that saves 100
KiB of memory per process is pretty worthwhile for Firefox OS.

Do you mean 100KiB per child process? How worthwhile is it to cut
100KiB from the parent process? I ask because we have various caches
that we use for TLS security (TLS session cache, HSTS, OCSP response
cache), and I'd like to know how much memory we can can budge for
these features, given that they all affect only a single process (the
parent). In some cases, we can throw the information away and
re-retrieve and/or recompute it, but only at a cost of reduced
security and/or significantly reduced performance. In some cases, we
could try to leave the data on disk and avoid loading it into memory,
but then we run into main-thread-I/O and/or socket-thread-disk-I/O,
both of which are important to avoid for responsiveness/perf reasons.

Also, I am concerned that, AFAICT, no TLS-related testing is being
done for AWSY. Thus, a lot of my work isn't being measured there. Who
is the best person to talk to about getting TLS functionality added to
AWSY?

Not sure if these are what you are referring to, but I see nss security PORT_Alloc_Util() pretty consistently in parent process DMD.

In a recent DMD report I saw it accounting for ~1.2MB over a number of different invocations.

Ben