On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I came across the following articles on source control and code review:
>
> * https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabflavor/article/
> recommendations_on_revision_control/
> * https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabflavor/article/
> writing_reviewable_code/
> * https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabflavor/article/
> recommendations_on_branching/
>
> I think everyone working on Firefox should take the time to read them as
> they prescribe what I perceive to be a very rational set of best practices
> for working with large and complex code bases.
>
> The articles were written by a (now former) Facebooker and the
> recommendations are significantly influenced by Facebook's experiences.
> They have many of the same problems we do (size and scale of code base,
> hundreds of developers, etc). Some of the pieces on feature development
> don't translate easily, but most of the content is relevant.
>
> I would be thrilled if we started adopting some of the recommendations
> such as more descriptive commit messages and many, smaller commits over
> fewer, complex commits.

As a reviewer one of the first things I do when reviewing a big patch is to
see if I can suggest a reasonable way to split it into smaller patches.

Honestly, I think we're already pretty close to most of those
recommendations, most of the time. "More descriptive commit messages" is
the only recommendation there that is not commonly followed, as far as I
can see.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w