On Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:30:20 AM UTC+3, somb...@gmail.com wrote:
> We do want
all users to be able to access their email, but not by compromising the
security of all users. ...

> This decision was made based on a risk profile of ...

So it looks like we know well enough what the best approach should be in
general.

> ... With deeply regrettable irony, a manufacturer of Firefox
> OS devices and one of the companies that certifies Firefox OS devices
> both run mail servers with invalid certificates and are our existing
> examples of the problem.
>
> In bug https://bugzil.la/874346 the requirement that is coming from
> partners is that:
> - we need to imminently address the certificate exception problem
> - the user needs to be able to add the exception from the account setup
> flow.  (As opposed to requiring the user to manually go to the settings
> app and add an exception.  At least I think that's the request.)

I'd interpret it as follows: The partners which we cherish say that the current
behavior is beyond a red line of theirs. They'd prefer if it never showed any
warning, but they're willing to live with it if the warning is part of the flow.

So combining those two, it looks like the highest priority is satisfying the
partners, and second priority is to maybe improve the general flow of adding
exceptions.

I think it would help to focus on one issue, and for now it seems like that's
the partner's issue.

As for solutions, while contacting a trusted server every time there's an
exception is an option, it does make the process more complex.

What if there was a trusted server which the app contacted periodically (where
the first time happens on first run etc), and download from it a list of :

1. Certificates to trust.
2. Certificates to revoke.

It might be overall simpler to design and implement because it separates the
the exception management (periodically with a trusted server) from the
sensitive flow when users need to approve of exceptions.

- avih