On 28/05/14 17:49, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
> * Insufficiently secure certificate (e.g., certificates that violate
> CA/Browser Forum rules or the like. I don't know if we actually consider
> this a failure right now, but it's a reasonable distinct failure class
> IMHO)

We would refuse e.g. a cert with an MD5 signature. In the future, we
hope to refuse certs of insufficient bitlength.

> It seems to me that some of these are more tolerable than others. There
> is a much different risk profile to accepting a certificate that expired
> two days ago versus one that fails an OCSP validation check.

Actually, no. Because as soon as a certificate expires, the CA has no
obligation to keep revocation information available for that cert. So
the two are actually equivalent.

That is to say, if a cert is expired, then you may not receive an OCSP
response for it. And you can't make any assumptions about what that
response might have been - it might have been "revoked".

> We have an excellent chance to try to rethink CA infrastructure in this
> process beyond the notion of a trusted third-party CA system (which is
> already more or less broken, but that's beside the point). My own views
> on this matter is that the most effective notion of trust is some sort
> of key pinning: using a different key is a better indicator of an attack
> than having a valid certificate; under this model the CA system is
> largely information about how to trust a key you've never seen before.
> There is a minor gloss point here in that there are legitimate reasons
> to need to re-key servers (e.g., Heartbleed or the Debian OpenSSL
> entropy issue), and I don't personally have the security experience to
> be able to suggest a solution here.

Forgive me, but that sounds like "I'm going to propose a solution with
one glaring flaw that has always sunk it in the past, and then gloss
over that flaw by saying 'I don't have the security experience - someone
else fix it'."

> Doesn't the EFF's SSL Observatory already track the SSL certificates to
> indicate potential MITMs?

The SSL Observatory's available data is a one-off dump from several
years ago. They are collecting more data as they go along, but it's not
public.

> 1. Any solution should try to only permit the "easy" certificate
> override on account configuration. This minimizes scope for potential
> MITM attacks.

That sounds like a reasonable idea, actually; by analogy with Bluetooth
pairing.

Gerv