On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 5:09 AM, James Burke <jbu...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 6/16/14, 12:34 PM, Jet Villegas wrote:
>>
>> I also propose that we make any required code changes in v2.0 so that
>> non-certified apps can't get unrestricted use of the font. All the options
>> proposed (#2,3, or 4,) have drawbacks, the common one being that they may be
>> overly restrictive.
>>
> The Gaia email app has gone privileged instead of certified just recently. I
> expect that most partners will want to deliver the email app with the same
> look and feel as the other apps that may be certified. If that means the use
> of the icon font, we might have some trouble.

I agree that it's great when we can move to a privileged app. Though
if it comes at the cost of a 500ms or 150ms slowdown then that might
not be worth it.

Another thing that will likely force us to use certified apps for now
is Web Components. We are only enabling those for certified apps for
now since we want to have freedom to make changes to the spec and the
implementation without worrying about breaking other apps or webpages.

Can the email app work without Web Components?

Either way, I definitely agree that, we should certainly look at
reducing those 150ms. But do people really feel comfortable with
making that the only plan? Can we make that happen for Gecko 34
(September 1st)? At what point do we start working on a backup plan
such as the ones discussed in this thread?

/ Jonas