Tobias Besemer wrote:
> Am Samstag, 28. Juni 2014 14:25:35 UTC+2 schrieb Tim Taubert:
>> Tobias Besemer wrote:
>>
>>> The amount of I/O is always a problem! E.g. for Notebooks in battery use.
>> Yes, of course. That is a known problem and we're working on it by
>> increasing the write interval when running on battery and working
>> towards a journaled storage.
>>
>> As I said before, cleaning sessionstore data on write will not buy you
>> much as we write a lot when Firefox is running. This is the problem
>> we're tackling in the long run and band-aid fixes won't help here.
>
> It is not just a question of battery!
> Too much writing accesses also harms the life-time of HDs or SSDs!

Yup, that's why we're working on it. Clearing data on quit won't get us
there as data accumulates while browsing again and probably 90+% of the
I/O happens while Firefox is running.

> I also asked before (on the bugs) about more informations to the "journaled
> storage" ...

Great, but as I said we are working towards it. We don't know any
details yet.

> If it is - like I think - a lot of small files, I don't like it!

Ok.

> A lot of small files wast a lot of un-used bytes on the storage and brings a
> big fragmentation to it! This significantly slows down a system!

File systems have a lot of counter measures nowadays so that might not
be as relevant anymore but I don't know for sure. We haven't decided on
any journaled storage yet and we will be looking into multiple options,
writing our own storage or taking an existing one. Performance and I/O
will of course be important factors.

- Tim