On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Ian Hickson <i...@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014, Dale Harvey wrote:
>>
>> Application developers have the ability to specify additional menuitems for
>> contextmenus via
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/interactive-elements.html#context-menus
>> however they are currently shown in addition to the default items, we are
>> looking to implement an optional attribute that allows authors to disable
>> the default context menu items so only the applications items are shown.
>> This is primarily targeted for Firefox OS, I believe Jonas will be looking
>> to add it to the official spec.
>>
>> The name / value of the attribute is under discussion
>>
>> <menu chrome="disabled">
>>   <menuitem label="foo"></menuitem>
>> </menu>
>>
>> looks like the most likely candidate.
>
> This has been suggested many times, but the reason it's not part of the
> standard is that it's user-hostile.

This argument always comes up, but I don't think this is an entirely
accurate statement.

This is less user-hostile than the web platform is today. The web
platform today enables cancelling the contextmenu attribute which
disables the UA context menu.

Many website use this feature to replace the UA context menu with
their own context menu implemented in HTML. The result is a context
menu which is less accessible. It also results in that if the user
uses UA features to *not* make the UA context menu cancellable, then
the UA context overlays and hides the page provided one, making it
inaccessible.

So I do agree that this feature is user hostile. But it is much less
so than what's in the spec today.

/ Jonas