I would like to suggest chrome="hidden" instead of chrome="disabled".
Disabled is normally related to grayed out widgets on the web
(<input disabled>) and not hidden elements (<input type="hidden">,
display: none or visibility: collapse).

And yes please leave some form of widget in the menu to let the user
access the default menu entries even if the site have them hidden.
I'm not too picky on the design for it though.

// Cork