On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Karl Dubost <kdub...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Imagine if I home developing my own little Web app on my computer, I need to
> get through the hops of deploying TLS.

For testing purposes you can get by without TLS just fine. As far as I
know the definition of authenticated origin includes localhost.

> Asking everyone to adopt TLS is a bit like asking everyone to switch to XML.

Not really. XML requires redesigning your entire application from the
ground up. Adding TLS is a little bit of configuration. Completely
different ballpark.

> It doesn't visibly and directly improve the life of people. In the big scheme
> of things, it gives an additional layer of security on their communications,
> but not privacy.

It gives privacy from passive and active network attackers, no?

> Even more so, telling to people that they have more privacy because the
> communication is secure end-to-end is deeply misleading. Secured geolocations
> end-to-end to an aggregator such as FourSquare, Google, Facebook, etc.
> doesn't change anything about your privacy.

That's a question of trust, not one of privacy.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/