On 28 September 2014 17:38, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Karl Dubost <kdub...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > Imagine if I home developing my own little Web app on my computer, I
> need to get through the hops of deploying TLS.
>
> For testing purposes you can get by without TLS just fine. As far as I
> know the definition of authenticated origin includes localhost.

What is the definition of 'authenticated origins', particularly when
dealing with localhost, I am worried that mine and a lot of devs setup
includes setting up a local /etc/hosts file and working in convenient
environment in which it will be no longer be possible. Similiarly when
setting up ad hoc local networks or creating a standalone intranet,
something I do fairly regularly for demos at a conference, hackdays etc

This has already been a major painpoint as the author of an IndexedDB
library I am fairly constantly asked questions of my library doesnt work
when server from file://index.html since the security model deals around
the host, it makes things harder for all developers, new ones especially.

There is a solution for transmitting private information over the network,
and I believe the responsibility is on content authors to decide when that
is appropriate and when it is not and not the standards bodies. I agree
that any site in production on the live internet transferring users
information should be using https, but every website doesnt follow that use
case.