On 2014-11-27 8:12 PM, Mike Hommey wrote:
Hi,

A year ago, when unified compilation was introduced to speed up builds,
a couple issues were raised and we conservatively restricted them out
of aurora/beta/release/esr.

A year later, it's time to revisit this decision, and since afaik we
haven't had problems specific to unified compilation on nightlies,
including for crash reports, we can assume the issues are either gone
or didn't exist in the first place (one problem that comes to mind is
bug 943695, and it probably isn't a problem in practice, although weird)

I know a lot of people have burned non-unified builds now and then.
That's an annoyance and a distraction for getting things done. If
unified compilation rides up to beta and we don't see significant
problems, I think we can disable all periodic non-unified builds
and make the few builds that are always non-unified unified again (a few
debug builds are this way).

I am not aware of any major outstanding issues with unified builds.

The downside from doing so, though, is that non-unified build *will*
be broken, and code "purity" (right includes in the right sources,
mostly) won't be ensured. Do you think this is important enough to keep
non-unified builds around?

FWIW we have never really ensured the right includes in the right sources. ;-) But more seriously, I think the benefits of unified builds in terms of build speed + the benefits of having one less build configuration that people can break outweighs the technical purity here. So I'd support dropping support for non-unified builds.