On 11/28/2014 11:06 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
On 28/11/14 08:46, L. David Baron wrote:
On Friday 2014-11-28 10:12 +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
The downside from doing so, though, is that non-unified build *will*
be broken, and code "purity" (right includes in the right sources,
mostly) won't be ensured. Do you think this is important enough to keep
non-unified builds around?

Another disadvantage here is that it will make adding or removing
source files harder, because you'll have to clean up the accumulated
"nonunified" bustage that shows up when files are shifted around
between unified files.  (This might be somewhat harder to fix a year
or two later than it is when causing it.)

IMO, it seems worth maintaining a non-unified build, to minimize this
obscure fragility that will otherwise tend to accumulate over time. We could
reduce the infrastructure load by doing the non-unified build on a more
occasional basis; perhaps once a day would be enough?

We already have builds that (normally) happen once a day: nightlies. How
about switching to a pattern where in addition to the nightly build, we also
kick off a non-unified build for each platform on the same changeset? If
that fails, we file a bug, and the normal expectation should be that such
bugs can and will be fixed within a day (more or less), so the non-unified
builds aren't left perma-broken.

I agree, we should keep non-unified builds as it keeps our individual files valid from the C++ point-of-view. If this is taking too many resources, then I think it is acceptable to do it less frequently.

What is identified by non-unified build is a problem of responsibility. Finding missing symbols is the responsibility of the person who is adding references without including headers. This is not at the charge of the person who is adding/removing files from a moz.build.

I know I made these mistake multiple times, and having B2G builds reporting such issues was helpful at cleaning my patches at the earliest time.

--
Nicolas B. Pierron