Xidorn Quan <quanxunz...@gmail.com>, 2014-12-27 10:12 +1100:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Michael[tm] Smith <m...@w3.org> wrote:
> > Xidorn Quan <quanxunz...@gmail.com>, 2014-12-26 04:41 -0800:
> > > The difference in expression ability becomes more important when there
> > > are words mixed with kanji and kana, such as "振り仮名". For this word,
> > > you won't even have the second option above, because I don't think people
> > > want to write something like

> > What would be the right way to mark that up with <rb>? In particular, what
> > would be the right way if the authors wants to switch between the inline
> > form and ruby?
>
> It would be

> The <rt> for "り" here could be individually hidden in ruby form by
> stylesheets. In fact, in CSS Ruby, we currently have autohide rule which
> automatically hide the the annotation when it is equal to the base.

Thanks, from looking at the current CSS Ruby draft, I see you must mean this:

  http://drafts.csswg.org/css-ruby/#autohide

And maybe I'm missing something but from that I see this autohide thing seems
to be magic the UA does without exposing any means for Web content to cleanly
override it -- neither through CSS nor script. ("Future levels of CSS Ruby
may add controls for auto-hiding, but in this level it is always forced.")

If so, I think that kind of thing is something that a lot of web devs has
said they'd rather browsers quit doing -- and that most new specs these
days seem to try to avoid doing. But again, maybe I'm missing something.

But anyway it makes me wonder why it's specced this way to begin with.
Other than the case where a base is kana I don't know what other real-world
case there might be where an annotation might be equal to its base.

Further, I don't know of any typical case where if a base character is
kana, why you'd ever want to display furigana/yomigana for it.

So as long as the spec is going to require UAs to resort to magic behavior,
I think the magic could instead just be "autohide any ruby annotations for
kana characters". And then you could just have simpler markup like this:

...and UAs would display as expected -- with no annotation for the り.

It doesn't seem like that magic would be any more difficult for UAs to
implement and wouldn't be any worse than the "hide the annotation when it
is equal to the base" magic the CSS Ruby spec currently requires UAs to do.

So anyway, to get back to the "Could you elaborate on why we are using the
more complicated W3C rules here instead of the simpler WHATWG rules, given
that the WHATWG rules also address the same use cases?" question that Hixie
had originally asked at that you responded to in your earlier message at
https://lists.mozilla.org/pipermail/dev-platform/2014-December/008123.html

...from the above it seems the base-consisting-of-kanji-mixed-with-kana
case may not be such a compelling case for illustrating the need for <rb>
to be included in HTML. At least it's not as long as UAs are just doing
magic autohiding without exposing any way for Web content to override it.

  --Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith https://people.w3.org/mike