Chris,

Le 28 janv. 2015 à 06:31, Chris Peterson <cpeter...@mozilla.com> a écrit :
> Are there recent studies of which features servers do detect and why? I could
> see arguments for sharing information about mobile devices, touch support,
> and OS.

We did ask. The range of reasons spreads on a very large spectrum. Technical,
Commercial, Laziness, Economic constraints, etc. During the survey last year,
we got answers from business people, Web developers, companies providing UA
dbs, etc.

The answers are summarized in this article:
http://www.otsukare.info/2014/03/31/ua-detection-use-cases

Below an extract of the use cases list:

Device/Software capabilities

        • Send anterior version of a browser to a simpler version of the Web
site. The new Web site using technologies unsupported on old browsers, the user
will get a bad experience.
        • Block the access to an anterior version of browser and recommend the
user to download a new version of the browser.
        • Redirect the browser to the (feature
phone|smartphone|tablet|desktop|tv|wearable) Web site or provide directly
content optimized for the device.
        • Customizing content such as the choice of video formats, the UI
elements size, Ads.
        • Plugin and framework supports such as J2ME, DRM.
        • Device own material performance

Network Performances

        • Server-side optimization of media (size and formats). Certain devices
type are believed to access the Web through a type of connection. The
assumption is often triggered by if it's a mobile the network bandwidth and/or
latency is either bad or expensive.

Technical

        • Blocking some abusive bots
        • A/B testing during feature deployments
        • Fallback: Once features detection has failed to be able to customize
the user experience: Incomplete support of features, support not optimized for
a specific feature, misleading user agent with regards to support

Business

        • Delivering specific content (Premium, documentation, help) for
certain devices
        • Native app: Encouraging to download the platform native app for
capturing an audience
        • Upgrading the user agent: Proposing the right software to download
when upgrading
        • Analytics and statistics reporting

--
Karl Dubost, Mozilla