Le 27/01/2015 22:31, Chris Peterson a écrit :
On 1/27/15 9:29 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
We keep telling websites to not use the UA string, however we've so
far been very bad at asking them why they use the UA string and then
create better alternatives for them.

Essentially many websites need to do server-side feature detection in
order to determine what version of the website to serve. However we
expose *very* few client capabilities in the original HTTP request to
a website. Essentially only "supports HTML", which clearly isn't
terribly useful.

Are there recent studies of which features servers do detect and why? I
could see arguments for sharing information about mobile devices, touch
support, and OS.

chris

Mozilla.org uses UA sniffing to propose the right download process for Firefox to users wisiting our download pages, that seems like a legitimate use of UA sniffing to me :)

Pascal