> We believe that security includes confidentiality, which that would approach
> would lack.

Hey Joel,

SSL already leaks which domain name you are visiting anyway, so the most
confidentiality this can bring you is hiding the specific URL involved in a
cache miss. That's a fairly narrow upgrade to confidentiality.

A scenario where it would matter: a MITM wishes to block viewing of a specific
video on a video hosting site, but is unwilling to block the whole site. In
such cases you would indeed want full SSL, assuming the host can afford it.

A scenario where it would not matter: some country wishes to fire a Great
Cannon. There integrity is enough.

I think the case for requiring integrity for all connections is strong: malware
injection is simply not on. The case for confidentiality of user data and
cookies is equally clear. The case for confidentiality of cache misses of
static assets is a bit less clear:  sites that host a lot of very different
content like YouTube might care and a site where all the content is the same
(e.g. a porn site) might feel the difference between a URL and a domain name is
so tiny that it's irrelevant - they'd rather have the performance improvements
from caching proxies. Sites that have a lot of users in developing countries
might also feel differently to Google engineers with workstations hard-wired
into the internet backbone ;)

Anyway, just my 2c.