On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 5:09 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> We should use whatever formats people are using to mark up pages. If that is
>> microdata we should use that. If it's RDF we should use that. If its JSONLD
>> we should use that.
>>
>> The API that is used to extract the data is irrelevant. That will be an
>> internal API anyway. Effectively we should think of the browser api as an
>> internal api. There is no way it will be standardized in any relevant
>> timeframe.
>
> Sure, but if our project has any success any competitor would have to
> reverse engineer this mess. Which seems sad.

I think we're already talking about reverse-engineering what search
engines and twitter/facebook/etc do.

But I'm still all for proper standardization. Including driving
towards good technical solutions.

But given how small marketshare browsers in general have as metadata
consumers, I think any standardization efforts would have to be driven
by the current matadata consumers, like search engines and social
networks.

/ Jonas