On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Nicholas Nethercote
<n.netherc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> not more ways for the user to tell the build system "only rebuild some
>> stuff".
>
> ... except that bholley and ehsan are asking for a way to override the
> dependency tracking and just rebuild particular directories. Which is
> reasonable, up to a point. I argue that support for this kind of thing
> should be very limited and simple, to avoid getting in glandium's way
> as he works towards "a proper build system".

This makes sense to me.

It occurred to me that maybe this can be solved by having a mach
command similar to "build binaries", but which *only* links libraries
and doesn't compile any cpp files.

That way it's easy enough to do "mach build dom/whatever && mach build
linklibraries". This wouldn't need the smarts to figure out which
libraries needs to be relinked if a given source file has change, it
would just attempt to relink all of them.

I think the big timesave that bholley and ehsan is looking for is
avoiding recompiling a bunch of C++ files, which this would still
accomplish.

/ Jonas