On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:38 PM, Xidorn Quan <quanxunz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 10:25 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 2015-10-29 7:21 PM, Carlos Valim Coragem  wrote:
>>>
>>>   It seems that this problem only happens in the desktop version and not
>>> in
>>> mobile, I just did a test with the same webpage in version 34.0.1 of
>>> Firefox to Android and it worked!
>>

>> Your experience is expected.  We have an implementation of these form
>> controls on Android, but not on desktop.  We have been waiting for UX specs
>> for this feature on desktop, as you have discovered.  :-)
>
> We really should push UX people to have that done. It is a pain that
> those things are not usable. Having those input types will save plenty
> of time for frontend developers to make their apps support Firefox.
> (Otherwise, they might just drop the Firefox support.)

I don't think having a good UX is the main blocker here.

The main blocker, IMO, is that unless web authors can style these
controls to integrate well with the look and feel of the rest of their
website, they won't be interested in using these controls.

I.e. unless we make these stylable, simply using jQuery UI will
provide websites and users with a better experience.

We still haven't managed to make something as simple as <input
type=file> styleable. Something like a date picker is *far* more
complex to style.

/ Jonas