On 2016-01-29 10:27 AM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:22 AM, Andrew Halberstadt <
> ahalberst...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> On 28/01/16 06:31 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Gregory Szorc <gsz...@mozilla.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback in this thread. However, the

>>> Frankly, I'm a little dismayed to hear that you think that one of the
>>> goals
>>> of Mozreview
>>> is to modify people's workflows. The primary problem with our existing
>>> review system
>>> isn't that it doesn't involve some more "modern" review idiom (leaving
>>> aside the question
>>> of whether it is in fact more modern), but rather that the UI is bad and
>>> that it's a lot
>>> less powerful than existing review tools, including those that enact
>>> basically the
>>> same design (cf. Rietveld).
>>>
>>> Speaking purely for myself, I'd be a lot happier if mozreview involved
>>> less
>>> nudging
>>> and morphing and more developing of basic functionality.
>>>
>>> -Ekr
>>>

>> Not speaking to review per se, but engineering productivity in general.
>> The problem is there are so many unique and one-off workflows at Mozilla
>> that it gets harder and harder to improve "basic functionality" across
>> all of them.
>

> Well, the functionality that I hear people discussing and complaining about
> with MozReview in this thread seems pretty common to most workflows:
>
> - The ability to review individual files
> - The ability to r- not just remove r+
> - Concerns about how much context is included in the review.
>
> All of these things are mostly just issues in the Mozreview UI.

Yes absolutely, many of the UI problems are not really about workflow.

>> At some point, we hit vastly diminishing returns and get
>> stretched too thin. We'd love to improve every existing workflow, but
>> simply don't have the resources to do that.
>>
>> Instead, we try to make one really nice workflow such that people want
>> to switch.
>

> I think it's clear from this thread that that has not succeeded.
>
> More generally, I keep seeing comments (especially from GPS) about
> trying to push people towards some workflow that's different from the
> patch-based workflow that's the modal bugzilla workflow that I suspect
> most people now use. That doesn't seem like an especially valuable
> goal for this work.

So, the only workflow that's really baked into MozReview, which I've
talked about before, is the idea of microcommits: that authors should be
splitting their work up into small, atomic commits, and updating them as
they get reviews.  I actually argue that this isn't even a workflow per
se.  It's more of a design principle of how software should be built.
It's my understanding that the senior engineers at Mozilla agree with
this principle, which is why supporting microcommits was a goal from the
beginning, back when Taras and Ehsan and a couple others agreed that we
needed a new tool and starting collecting requirements.

The downside is that no other code-review tool out there really does
this approach well, so we had to pick one (that could support both hg
and git) and build on it.  It's been (clearly) tough to get this right,
with all the confusion over squashed diffs and review summaries and
such.  A lot of the feedback here has been really constructive, though,
so one way or another we're going to get to something that will make
people a lot happier.  I'll be sure to ask for feedback on our design
ideas as we proceed.

Mark