On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> So this presumably means we can turn off automation running on 10.6-10.8 on
> mozilla-central? I believe that will drastically increase our OS X
> automation capacity...

Yes, please. We can't take advantage of any of the engineering
benefits until we stop gating builds on tests passing on 10.6.

> So where does that leave us on Universal OS X builds? IIRC our blocker is
> the need to support 32-bit Silverlight in the plugin container so various
> streaming services using it don't break. Where are we on that front?

Mac has EME-based support for DMCA-protected video starting in Firefox
47[1], so there's an alternative to Silverlight for those sites. There
are other uses of course, but we have previously announced an end to
native NPAPI plugins at the end of 2016[2] so I think that's the
timeframe for dropping 32-bit mac support. If we want to make progress
in the meantime we should start doing separate 64-bit only builds, and
use the update process to transition users on Mac > 10.6 who don't
have 32-bit plugins to the new 64-bit builds.

[1]
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/04/08/mozilla-to-test-widevine-cdm-in-firefox-nightly/
[2] https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/