On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 7:10 AM, Mike Hoye <mh...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 2016-05-06 12:26 AM, Gregory Szorc wrote:
>
>> FWIW, the crashes we've seen so far are from incorrectly emitted movss
>> instructions. This instruction is part of the original SSE instruction
>> set,
>> which was initially unveiled by Intel on the Pentium 3 in 1999 and later
>> by
>> AMD on the Duron and Athlon XP in 2000-2001. I'm not sure why we still
>> need
>> Firefox to run on processors manufactured in the 90s.
>>
> Per an IRC conversation with chutten, Firefox users on CPUs that do not
> support SSE are 0.015% of our user base. (compared to 0.4% for no-SSE2). A
> third of those are on otherwise-unsupported configurations (pre-SP3 XP,
> etc), this work provides continuity of support to 0.01% of our users.

This population (0.015%) is ~100x smaller than the OS X 10.6-10.8 users we
just decided to drop (going by bsmedberg's quote of 1.2% in the OS X
deprecation thread). Looking at the numbers alone, I can't see how we
wouldn't arrive at the conclusion to require SSE. Beyond the numbers, the
modern web must be a horrible experience on ancient processors and machines
not supporting SSE. I'm not sure what value continuing to provide Firefox
updates to this population will add.

Reverting to VS2013 will have an unplanned negative impact on developers
and automation. Reverting to VS2013 then deciding a short time after that
we can use VS2015/SSE after all will have even more negative impact. It is
desirable to avoid both these things. Therefore *I'm going to not move
forward with reverting aurora and central to VS2013 unless someone says
otherwise*. I have cancelled the aurora uplift requests in bug 1270664
until a decision is made.