On 2016-05-10 4:45 PM, Gregory Szorc wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:26 PM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> There is a compiler bug in VS2015 that results in SSE instructions being
>> emitted when they shouldn't be. Since Firefox still needs to remain
>> compatible with ancient hardware that doesn't support SSE, this is causing
>> crashes on Firefox built with VS2015 (see bug 1265615).
>>
>> The good news is glandium found a pretty minimal reproduce case and
>> reported the bug to Microsoft.
>>
>> The bad news is the issue still reproduces in the latest pre-release
>> version of the Visual C++ toolchain.
>>
>> The worse news is we'll have to revert to building Firefox 48 (current
>> Aurora) and 49 (current central) with VS2013. Bugs 1270664 and 1270714
>> track. Aurora will likely land soon. Central might take a few days, as I
>> believe VS2013 is a bit broken on central at the moment.
>>

> We have a change in plans.
>
> bsmedberg says we can require SSE. So that means the VS2015 bug emitting
> SSE instructions isn't an issue.

Firstly, great to hear this!

But since the topic of when to drop support for legacy platforms seems
to be coming up a few times per week these days, it would be helpful to
document somewhere how the decision to drop support for processors not
supporting SSE was reached.  Do we have data covering what number of
users will be affected by this change?  Do we have guidelines on what's
the threshold for supporting other similar legacy configs?

It would be helpful to see some information about this shared here.

Thanks,
Ehsan