(CC'ing firefox-dev which doesn't seem to have had the original email though it should have done, please follow up to m.d.platform.)

On 01/09/2016 16:37, Henrik Skupin wrote:
* locationbar tests:            /browser/base/content/test/urlbar/firefox_ui/
* private browsing tests:
/browser/components/privatebrowsing/test/firefox_ui/
* safe browsing tests:
/browser/components/safebrowsing/content/test/firefox_ui/
* session store tests:
/browser/components/sessionstore/test/firefox_ui/
* update tests:                 /toolkit/mozapps/update/tests/firefox_ui/

Do those locations sound good? I have heard at least once that
"firefox_ui" might not be the best choice as folder name, but that's how
the harness is called, and corresponds to what we have for other
harnesses too.

As I did over IRC, I would like to strongly object to the continued use of per-test-type subfolders in our test directories. You can already use a specific mach command per test type, and the tests are listed in different manifests, *and* there's all the different filename conventions (browser_, test_....html, test_....xul, <whatever>.js) that further point out what type of test you're looking at. The subfolders add nothing useful.

Furthermore, only the toolkit case is currently meaningfully split out into subdirs. The sessionstore test/ dir has a subdir (but also has a bundle of tests directly in that dir), and the privatebrowsing one has no leafs and only a subdir ("browser"). None of the others have any subdirs at all. Getting back to the toolkit case, the subdirs are actually confusing because only some of the subdirs have tests (as a counterexample, "data" just has random helper files) and the root testing dir also has .cpp files in it (I guess for gtests?).

IOW, in the general case, I think that in most of those directories there's no precedent to do what you propose.

Finally, "firefox_ui" (as well as "ui") as a name for a directory is going to cause all kinds of confusion for people exploring the repo without detailed knowledge of what's going on. Additionally, it's not like most of the mochitest-browser tests aren't tests of the Firefox UI... If we absolutely must have some kind of subdirectory because of reasons I have yet to hear, I think "integration" would be a better choice of name as far as subdirs of "test" go (as juxtaposed to "unit" for our xpcshell tests).

~ Gijs