Matthew N. wrote on 09/02/2016 01:15 AM:

>>> /browser/components/sessionstore/test/firefox_ui/
>>> * update tests:            /toolkit/mozapps/update/tests/firefox_ui/
>
> Is there a plan to merge those with
> /toolkit/mozapps/update/tests/marionette? It seems unusual to use both
> when this new test suite is basically a layer on top of Marionette as
> you said.

Those marionette tests have been created specifically for B2G:
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/testing/marionette/harness/marionette/tests/update-tests.ini

But the firefox-ui harness can only be used for Firefox. Reason is that
we have our own testcase classes and several enhancements to the
harness. An integration of those into Marionette base was denied to not
make Marionette that bloated. As result we have to keep our layering for
now.

> * Chrome mochitests, plain mochitests and xpcshell share the same prefix
> (test_) so they are interleaved together in directory listings.

And exactly this makes it hard to only collect the relevant files
(tests, support files) via test_archive.py as mentioned in my other email.

> "firefox_ui", "ui", and "integration" all overlap with what
> mochitest-browser-chrome is about IMO and I think naming the suite
> "Firefox-UI" was confusing from the beginning. If I was a new
> contributor working on a UI feature and decided I wanted to write tests,
> I wouldn't want to be misled into thinking I should write a "Firefox-UI"
> test when mochitest-browser-chrome is actually the desired suite. I
> would suggest "puppeteer" or "marionette" for directory names to avoid
> confusion.

As of now we only have puppeteer available for Firefox. And it will not
be a hard requirement to use hopefully soon once we decoupled the
harness from it. Also we just got Marionette support for Fennec. It
means beside testing/puppeteer/firefox it might be good to get shared
helper code for Fennec specific tests into testing/puppeteer/fennec.

Using marionette here would also be confusing because those tests won't
work with the marionette command.

Maybe at the end we should try again to get our testcase classes and
harness extensions into Marionette again. But depending on the future
that we may want to use Selenium for our tests directly, I would wait
and not spend my time with such a refactoring.

--
Henrik